funsec mailing list archives

Vendors's DUMB question

From: Kevin McAleavey <kevinmca () nsclean com>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 11:47:06 -0400

I'm almost embarassed to ask this one as we haven't had a corporate customer in EONS still using NT 3.x or 4.x on their
networks, but figgered I'd put this out to others who deal with curmudgeon customers in hopes of finding out if there's
still any "NT" users alive out there?

 Reason for the question is I maintain antimalware code that has retained a number of compatibilities going all the way
back to WFW 3.11 which out products STILL support. Secondary reason is that the only way to gather antimalware data
from a victim (or potential victim) machine was the use of those almost useless PSAPI library calls since NT never
supported the more modern IE-based "shill stuph." Over the years with Microsoft's varied divergences, keeping ONE
executable that would run on "Windows ANYTHING" has gotten more and more complex. I'm thinking splitting off the code
into separate 9x, NT-progeny (and thus the "NT question I ask) and of course 64 bit stuff which we're already handling
as well.

 Code just keeps getting messier and messier. If there's like NO userbase left in the "NT world," then that allows me
to do some serious axe-swinging and get rid of a lot of useless code in our software. But since I've been at this for
ten years now and every time we'd polled customers in the past as to dropping "NT" code, we'd get "we still have people
running that."

 Is it STILL true?   :(