funsec mailing list archives

Re: An OCR plug-in for Spamassassin

From: Axel Pettinger <api () worldonline de>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:49:14 +0200

Nick FitzGerald wrote:

I saw a suggestion somewhere it was the Kuvayev gang, but regardless
of who it was, but a lot of "penny stock" spam back in January (maybe
back into last December?) through into early February (from memory)
was of the form:

   <nonsense text block>
   <(relatively) unique "message text as image">
   <nonsense text block>

The text in my last post was from such a stock spam mail.

The middle bit was an image of text on a coloured background with
three randomized components.  The background contained light (so as
to not terribly degrade readbilility) noise (pixels close to, but not
quite the same as the background colour, and occasional black
pixels), the images had a random frame (ranging from a band a few
pixels wide to multi-line affairs) and the frame was degraded with
(heavier) noise (random black pixels across the frame and encroaching
slightly into the main image).

I think I've seen such spam mails. The image in my stock spam mail
sample contains, apart from the text, many colored pixels.

Regards,
Axel Pettinger