funsec mailing list archives

Re: An OCR plug-in for Spamassassin

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:24:02 +1200

"the Dude" to "der Mouse":

Just means you have to render the whole mail before OCRing, rather than
trying to OCR the individual images.

Does anyone know how CPU intensive would it be to OCR the amount of
messages a large corporation receives in one day? I seem to remember
omnipage taking a bit of the cycles when it was running and even
though the OCR systems in development will be a sight better, I am
still curious if this technology will at first end up being a possible
DoS before it matures.

I suspect it may be a tad on the heavy side.

There is some brief discussion of this issue in the MIMEDefang thread
the OP referred to if you want to look it up in the MIMEDefang list
archives...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald