funsec mailing list archives

RE: RE: [privacy] Frank Rich: Will the Real Traitors PleaseStand Up?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:43:55 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 15 May 2006, StyleWar wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: funsec-bounces () linuxbox org
[mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org] On Behalf Of Drsolly
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 12:28 PM
To: funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: RE: [funsec] RE: [privacy] Frank Rich: Will the Real
Traitors PleaseStand Up?

If it were a war, then we wouldn't be trading with the enemy.

Agreed for the most part... but this is a war unlike any other ever fought
before.

Yes - as are all wars. But this is the first shooting war I can think
of, where trading with the enemy is permitted, perhaps even encouraged.

If it were a war, we'd have conscription.

I guess the Gulf War Vets should turn in their medals then... they were all
volunteers, who fought in a war that by your definition, wasn't a war...

You can have wars with volunteer armies - we did that in the Napoleonic
wars, and 1914 to 1916. But for a longer term modern war, the economic
cost of volunteers is too high.

If it were a war, we'd have more casualties from the war than
from the roads.

Again, the Gulf War proved different. The face of war has changed....you're
operating off of an old paradigm Doc.

Well, I certainly like the idea of a war with little or no casualties.
But I think most people wouldn't call that a war; perhaps "struggle" would
be a better word. But "Struggle against drugs" or "Struggle against
terror" doesn't have such a good ring to it.