funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who needs terrorists? We can cause terror all byourselves...

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:08:09 -0500

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:11:37 CST, Brian Loe said:

of. I would say, on that thread, that unless you are currently charged
with the defense of the country, have been recently, were in one of
the targets or lost a loved one in of those targets, you should keep
your ignorance (am I being too kind not using stupid?) to yourself.

Ahem.

If you are asserting that only the relatives of the people killed in 9/11
and the soldiers who fought in Gulf War I and II are allowed to have an
opinion regarding the government's motivations in waging those wars, I
beg to *strongly* differ with you.

One doesn't need to have personally lost a loved on in the war to ask why
we're over there without a formal declaration of war.

One doesn't need to have personally been shot at to ask why enough body armor
wasn't made available when this war was planned.

One doesn't need to be an actual employee of the NSA or CIA to ask questions
about the WMD intelligence and how it was interpreted.

And there is most certainly *no* contradiction in praising the valor of the
grunts patrolling the streets and getting shot at, and putting themselves in
harm's way, and at the same time have deep doubts regarding those that are
making the high-level decisions.