funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Get your computer viruses here!]

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 07:50:00 -0800

On 12/29/05, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:
Blue Boar to Drsolly to ??? (Gadi?):

I would like to further muddy things by pointing out that I would much
rather the bad guys go ahead and use public, known malware rather than
the alternatives.

But this site will not only provide the bad guys with samples (which
they'd be stupid to use) but also, in some cases, the wherewithal to
improve their own malware to make it more effectively evade antivirus,
PFW, etc "protections" commonly installed on their intended victims'
machines.

Making the samples (at least of viruses) freely available is entirely
undesirable and ethically indefensiblt, but making the (detailed)
analysis of _any_ "clever", "advanced" or otherwise "useful" malware
technique publicly available, we have the supposed good guys openly
assisting (especially) the less clueful bad guys.

Without vetting the site's membership, Val is providing much more
valuable assistance to the bad guys than the good guys will ever get.

whats stopping the AV companies from beefing up their detection
algorithms (or creating them to begin with)? maybe this will actually
help the bad AV companies out. Still, I would doubt that these
processes work on apps like nod32.

Are the proponents of the (hypothetical) discontinuing of this site
saying that: while skilled "bad guys" wont be helped by this site, the
average script kiddie will? There is something to be said about
keeping dangerous information from todays children who havent learned
restraint or the dangers of punishment, but I am still uneasy about
trodding down a path that limits free speech in _any_ from.

-JP
"I dont see the world in black and white. Due to technological
constraints, my world is green and white"
-JP