Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: What the f*** is going on?

From: jf <jf () ownco net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:54:28 -0500

Sure. The moment the discussion strays toward these topics, I am
obviously not at liberty to discuss them freely.

Totally understandable; I need to figure out the 'rhetorical question' emoticon and I probably should've put a
disclaimer of some sort up there somewhere. I know how sensitive this sector can be.

In general, I simply think that framing the problems that the industry
is facing in terms of dealing with a new, sophisticated adversary is
kind of meaningless and destructive, even if the risk is fundamentally
true. The idea that AV + IDS + a prepackaged PCI / SOX / BS7799 audit
was a legitimate response to the threats faced 5-10 years ago is about
as misguided as the notion that $2M botnet monitoring or an IV drip of
0-day vulns will do the trick this time around.

(Even if you need offensive capabilities - and most parties don't -
nurturing a free market of 0-days sold to the highest bidder for
exorbitant fees does not seem like a particularly good long-term
plan.)

I generally agree, other than I think it's important to understand that regardless of our sentiments, 'they' believe in
it and are investing in it and that sorta makes it reality. The more people call things a myth or unimportant or hype
or what not, the more it operates in the dark. We're not talking about germans who think they live in a crashed UFO and
are out to lift your 0-day, we're talking about the governments of the world realizing they have a new black-ops tool.
That sorta makes it fundamentally different, or at least it does to me.

either way, we're mostly on the same page; didn't mean to drag it out. cheers.