Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Standing Up Against German Laws - Project HayNeedle

From: Nico Golde <fd () ngolde de>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:20:47 +0100

Hi Paul,
* Paul Sebastian Ziegler <psz () observed de> [2007-11-10 18:33]:
as most of you may have heard the German government passed a law today
that will lead to all connections being logged for 6 months. This
includes phone calls as well as all internet connections.
[...]
The mechanism is quite easy: It searches Google for random words and
picks random pages among the results, then spiders from there (well it
is spidering except that it only follows one URL at a time within a
session thus simulating a user).

How would this help with stored phone calls? How would this
help with the general problem?

While I think it is nice that you think about doing
something against this I don't really like your idea since
you totally miss that traffic does not only mean HTTP so I
don't really see any point of not just using gpg,tor, etc.

You write "This way it is very hard to tell which
connections are actually made by the user thus generating
plausible deniability." on your website and I also don't
think this is valid because noone cares if it was you or an
application creating this traffic, it also does not
prevent people to store your traffic and I would aspect them
to have pretty good methods to devide important and
unimportant traffic ;)

Cheers
Nico
--
Nico Golde - JAB: nion () jabber ccc de | GPG: 0x73647CFF
Forget about that mouse with 3/4/5 buttons -