Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Re: noise about full-width encoding bypass?

From: "Chris Weber" <chris () mail casabasec com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:24:51 -0700

Hold up a second folks, you're telling this list now that ASP.NET will
decompose various character sets like those containing your full-width single
quote, into it's ASCII equivalent.  Brian I think you should've stuck to your
original story because I'm almost certain this is completely untrue.

If it were true then we'd have some dire state of emergency on our hands no?
Compatibility decomposition and canonical composition are a function of the
Unicode normalization forms in use (http://unicode.org/reports/tr15/).

*In particular, forms KD and KC would do what you're saying, but those aren't
commonly in use afaik.  Developers should be very cautious when normalizing to
these forms.

If you've managed to find some specific ASP.NET classes which normalize to
problematic forms KD/KC then you should let us know, but just saying all of
ASP.NET does this would be a huge stretch.  The framework supports all four
normalization methods
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/winfx/system.string.aspx) and it's up to
developers to implement the ones they need.