Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: noise about full-width encoding bypass?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 16:06:06 -0400

On Mon, 21 May 2007 14:41:58 CDT, Steven Adair said:
I think you could be on either side, but I would learn towards this being
a feature than a bug.  Multiple products appear to do the decoding in the
same manner and intentionally perform this function.

No, they merely *claim* to do it the same way.

                                                      However, the recent
advisories that went out were geared towards IDS/IPS products that were
not designed to be able to recognize such half-/full-width encoded
traffic.

And if the IDS doesn't do it the *exact* same way, we're just repeating
the mistakes of "using fragmented packets to bypass the IDS", "using X to
bypass the IDS", "using Y to bypass the IDS"... and so on.