Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Online

From: "Greg" <full-disclosure3 () pchandyman com au>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:45:39 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Carp [mailto:edcarp () gmail com]
Sent: Wednesday, 6 December 2006 2:06 PM
To: full-disclosure () lists grok org uk
Cc: David Matousek
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Nmap Online

On 12/5/06, Simon Smith <simon () snosoft com> wrote:

Why would you do this?

Well, for one, sometimes you need to do a port scan when
you're not in front of a system that has nmap installed on
it.  I get a call about once every couple of months, "why
can't I get into my email server" that's sitting behind a
hardware router with a hole poked in it for port 110.  Doing
a port scan on the client's IP address ensures that either
yes, the port is open or no, it's not.  If it's open then I
can proceed with my troubleshooting - if not, I know where to
look for the problem.

I don't wish to upset anyone but that answer has to be the craziest FIRST
"port of call" approach I have seen used. I get plenty of those sorts of
calls. I take about 30 seconds time on the phone for almost all of them. I
say "Pull the power plug out of the router. Wait 10 seconds, plug it back in
and wait another 10 seconds. OK, try now" and almost all of them report it
works well.

So why would I need and how could I use Nmap online to tell me the router
went crazy and locked up?

Besides, wouldn't it be just as easy to use the Nmap sitting on my computer
if I decided I needed to use it?

Greg.