Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: This crap needs to stop

From: Eliah Kagan <degeneracypressure () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:55:00 -0500

Duncan Lindley wrote (off-list):
On the subject of embarrassing errors;

Sony purchased a root kit ala DRM software from first 4 internet.

---
Duncan Lindley
Systems Administrator
Virgin Blue Airlines Pty Ltd
0423 025 150

Yes, this is an embarrassing error on my part. It has next to nothing
to do with what I am trying to say, but it is embarrassing
nonetheless. It is particularly embarrasing because I starred the word
"wrote" for emphasis, even though whether or not Sony wrote the
rootkit (they did not) was not central to my argument.

I apologize for insinuating that Sony paid their own programmers to
write the rootkit instead of paying programmers from another company
to use it--that is, paid them for the act of writing it. However, in
the context of this discussion, this is a very small error, because
the point I am driving at is intent.

I-O Data almost certainly did not know that its hard drives were
infected with the Backdoor.Win32.Tompai trojan. Sony almost certainly
knew that their CDs were infected with a rootkit, because they paid
money for the rootkit--they authorized it. If there is substantial
evidence that I-O Data was involved with the writing of
Backdoor.Win32.Tompai or that they paid royalties to copyright-holders
of the intellectual property associated with Backdoor.Win32.Tompai,
then I withdraw my claim that I-O Data was not acting maliciously.
Otherwise, that claim stands.

-Eliah