Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: This crap needs to stop

From: Goetz Von Berlichingen <goetzvonberlichingen () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:15:39 -0700

Eliah Kagan wrote:
To say that every time a company makes a mistake that hurts their
users is as bad as Sony installing rootkits on people's computers
nickels and dimes the issue of personal privacy and corporate spying
and makes it more difficult to fight true corporate maliciousness.

On the other hand, yeah, something should be done about this. It's
really, really bad when every once in a while a device ships with
malware, whatever the intention.

I remember buying a Sony laptop back in about 2001, running Systemworks on it, and getting back a report of 50-some odd registry problems and 4 instances of malcode (I think they were all virii). I reformatted from the Sony-supplied image CDs and they were all on the images.

  I just don't think Sony cares what the consumer gets from them.

Goetz