Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: This crap needs to stop\

From: Steve Friedl <steve () unixwiz net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:04:31 -0800

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:56:55PM -0500, Michael Holstein wrote:
Here's an interesting one. Peripherals manufacturer I-O Data has shipped
a series of nice-looking portable hard drives in the 40GB to 120GB range
- carrying the Backdoor.Win32.Tompai trojan on them.

More interesting is *why* there would be a "master image" on a new
expansion hard drive in the first place.

I just bought a couple of external USB-based hard drives, and the
preformatted filesystems had an autorun with the logo of the vendor:
I think it was strictly so that the Western Digital icon showed up
when in Explorer. As far as I can tell, the drive was otherwise blank.

Steve