Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Reverse dns

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:14:21 -0600

--On Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:35:10 AM -0500 Dale Babiy <DaleB () BETWWTS com> wrote:

Rfc1912 section 2.1 says:

   "Every Internet-reachable host should have a name.  The
consequences
   of this are becoming more and more obvious.  Many services
available
   on the Internet will not talk to you if you aren't correctly
   registered in the DNS.

   Make sure your PTR and A records match.  For every IP address,
there
   should be a matching PTR record in the in-addr.arpa domain.

This pretty much settles it for me.  I think I win this argument.

Thanks for all the help from everyone that posted useful responses.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member