Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Reverse dns

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:11:54 -0500

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:57:57 CST, Paul Schmehl said:

I've been looking through the RFCs and I can't find it.  Some folks think
reverse dns should be completely disabled.  I know for sure that this will
break email, because many mail servers won't talk to a server that doesn't
reverse.  Tcpdump also doesn't like hosts that won't reverse.

"tcpdump -n" is your friend. :)

There's no RFC requirement that there be a valid PTR record.  Also, note that
there's *lots* of games that can be played with PTR records if they happen to
be out of a in-addr.arpa zone controlled by the attacker.....