Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Most common keystroke loggers?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 11:33:09 +1300

Dave Korn wrote:

  How about one-time passwords?  Just go ahead and *let* them keylog it all
they like; by the time they've snarfed a pw, it's no use any more.  (See
S/Key for more details.)

Ignoring the silliness of pre-printed lists of of OTP (such as some
European banking systems' TANs) and the ease of extracting a few from
gullible users, even dynamically generated OTPs are still vulnerable to
man-in-the-middling _if_ the bad guy has code running on the device by
which the user interacts with whatever service the OP is hoping to
"protect".  I know the OP said "keylogger compromised", but if the
machine _is_ compromised (and you can't tell from your remote web
server) as the folk running the server you have no control over how it
was compromised, so that is a chronically arbitrary condition (which
suggests to me that the OP doesn't understand his actual problem set).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald