Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Most common keystroke loggers?

From: "Debasis Mohanty" <mail () hackingspirits com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 01:53:09 +0530

-----Original Message-----
From: Blue Boar
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 12:15 AM
To: sjohnston () cavionplus com
Cc: full-disclosure () lists grok org uk
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Most common keystroke loggers?

Shannon Johnston wrote:
Hi All,
I'm looking for input on what you all believe the most common
keystroke loggers are. I've been challenged to write an authentication
method (for a web site) that can be secure while using a compromised
system.

If, for some reason, you only care about the case where a "keylogger" is
installed,
then you can go with some scheme like making the user pick numbers of a
randomly-scrambled
keypad on the screen, with the mouse.

"Security" and "randomly-scrambled online keypad" are mutually exclusive ;-)

Note, however, that "keyloggers" that grab some portion of the screen
surrounding the
mouse pointer every time you click have already been observed in the
wild.  They are
designed to specifically defeat this kind of mechanism.

I posted a similar but yet an effective way of snatching the user
credentials directly from the input boxes while the user key'n them in a
pre-compromised box. The method shown is bit effective compared to the
screenshot grabbers in the sense that it directly get the clear text and the
***** text from the inputbox directly and donsn't save it until the user
submit the form.

The PoC (defeat-citibank-vk.zip) was created to defeat the virtual keyboard
concept of Citi-Bank used world wide. It can be downloaded from the
following link -  http://www.hackingspirits.com/vuln-rnd/vuln-rnd.html .
Presently, the PoC wont work as CitiBank has made little changes in its site
after the release of the PoC.

- D