Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Most common keystroke loggers?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 13:15:26 +1300

Lionel Ferette wrote:

Using crypto all the way from the web server to a smart-card (so all the
compromised system can see is encrypted data it can't get the key for) can
help yere.
Even then, you would need a card reader with integrated pinpad. Otherwise, the
keylogger can still sniff the PIN code entry - and then generate any
signature it wants by accessing the PC/SC layer directly (been there, done
that).

I'm not entirely convinced of that.  _Some part_ of displaying the
transactions and accepting/rejecting the transactions has to occur
"securely" (off the compromised machine), but I don't think it
necessarily has to be the stage you suggest...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald