Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:39:01 -0400

 > Kohl's owns the Internet?
Kohl's reserves the right to read my email I send my mom just because
it's on the Internet?

You bet! .. as it pertains to anything past their demarc at their properties, they're entirely free to log and review every packet that comes/goes.

That means they can legally review your IM chats, go back and read your email from a month ago, whatever ...

The legal precedent for this is essentially "He who onws the network, owns the data" (with respect to an employee/employeer relationship). It's a bit different for commercial ISPs.

If your mom works at Kohls, don't email her there unless you want it read (unless you PGP/gnuPG it). Then again, they could just have Spector installed on the PC to capture screenshots/keystrokes of her at her "company computer" (also completely legal).

~Mike.