Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:14:52 -0400

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:37:34 -1000, Jason Coombs said:
Technica Forensis wrote:
CAUTION:
Internet and e-mail communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's reserves the
right to retrieve and read any message created, sent and received.
       The crucial word -------^^^

Kohl's reserves the right to read my email I send my mom just because
it's on the Internet?

maybe you should go reread the wiretap act.

Wiretap Act doesn't apply to stored electronic communications.

Kohl's owns all of those communications, whether stored temporarily in
RAM or stored persistently to a hard drive.

Kohl's may indeed have some rights regarding *their* messages.  However,
their disclaimer (hopefully inadvertently) talks about "any" message, not
just "any Kohl's message"....

I've seen stupider disclaimers, but this one is right up there..

Of course, if I were an opposing attorney, this sticking of "may contain
confidential information" on stuff posted to worldwide public mailing lists
could be a gold mine - obviously the company has *not a clue* what mail actually
has such info in it.  If obviously public mail has a broken inapplicable
disclaimer on it, maybe that other piece of mail I want to subpoena that has
the same exact disclaimer on it isn't in fact privileged either....