Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser worm

From: van Helsing <vh () helith net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:13:50 +0200

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:29:47 -0500
"Fred Newtz" <fbnewtz () houston rr com> wrote:

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 05:08 -0700, Harlan Carvey wrote:

The other is a virus writer who used a flaw developed by someone
else, and propagated by a meathod that has been used countless times
before, and really introduced nothing new.

So lets say someone did not turn him in and he never got busted.  What
happens when he goes out and finds a job in the security industry?
Does that mean he will work with malicious intent and make all the
back doors in products that he wants to or would he do his job just
like everyone else in the world?   He obviously has skills of some
sort that are valuable.  Maybe he is just doing penetration testing on
their products, you never know.

All nitty picky things aside, what about all of the other virus
writers out there that never got busted?  The hackers and crackers and
phreaks and everyone else that did something wrong or maybe even
destroyed some important data.  Does that mean that we already have
people like that working at security companies or not?  Does that make
the products of companies who hire virus writers or crackers less
secure?  Does that mean that the PHACV people do not take their jobs
seriously?  Does that mean that they can do a better or worse job than
someone who does not have the desire to beat the system so to speak?
I mean there are tons of people out there that are into this scene and
they obviously will get a job or already have a job somewhere.

This has been going on for quite some time.  Just look at the LOD/h
boys and the security consulting firm they started at least 10 years
ago and what happened to them because people like SWBT totally dogged
them and warned everyone that they could not be legitimate even though
they were all convicted and just needed an honest job to go straight
just like everyone else.  I know some of those guys and they were good
people.  They were some of the best minds out there and they could
have done just as good of a job as everyone else.  They had already
conquered the world in their own way, why not let that knowledge work
in a good way for people that needed protection from other kids trying
to do the same thing.  Or worse yet, hired hackers trying to steal
secrets.

Saying that no teenager can be reformed is like saying you can't
change your mind about what to eat for dinner.  I have over 13
convictions and have been in prison as well as spent more than my fair
share of time in county jails. However, that has been 10 years now and
I am integrated into society making my way in life.  All of this
happened before I turned 21 years old.

So if I can change then anyone can change.  If you have a 250000 fine
or whatever coming against you wouldn't you want to work it off so
that some day in the future you might be able to own a car, or even a
bicycle?  What about a house or to even get married?  Who would marry
someone with a debt like he will have very soon?

Good people do bad things sometime, it is a fact of life.  Deal with
it.

Fred

Guys... (and I mean all guys here)
It would be better (also for our english writers here) to stopthinking
about that.
Just "shut up" and THINK before you write something.
What's wrong if I hire somebody who wrote a worm? The worm itself used a
security hole and it was no simple Massmailer.

If you don't start to think about BEFORE you write or answer I imagine
I'll read someday a mail like:
"SCANDAL: HACKERGROUP L0TH FOUNDS A COMPANY CALLED @STAKE WICH IS NOW
PART OF SYMANTEC".

And even Microsoft hire such guys so where is your problem?
The NSA hire also such guys, the german BND does such things too.

Come down guys.. that's life so don't rock the boat because such things.
Why don't I read something: SCANDAL MS DOSN'T PATCH IE HOLE XYZ FOR
ABOUT 8 MONTHS NOW?
So concentrate yourself to the realy importent things.
And now close that topic because it's a waste...

vh