Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Empirical data surrounding guards and firewalls.

From: gadgeteer () elegantinnovations org
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:41:26 -0600

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 08:45:44AM -0700, Andrew Farmer (andfarm () teknovis com) wrote:
On 9 Sep 2004, at 03:34, Michael Simpson wrote:
The brain is thought to have 40 to 100 GB storage per cell (several
trillion cells)

Where are you getting "40 to 100 GB storage per cell"? I'm no
neurological expert, but I doubt neurons have that much storage
capacity unless you consider DNA to be part of that (which isn't fair -
DNA is not actively read from or written to as part of a neuron's
"I-O").

Oh, WTF, I'll jump in here. :-)

GB == giga byte
byte == 8 bits
a bit is a binary element

neurons are not binary

Given Moore's Law and the other rules of thumb regarding the progress of
computer hardware it will be another 25 to 30 years before we match
human capacity.

Anyone who says they can achieve such in significantly less time is
seeking funding. :-)
--
Chief Gadgeteer
Elegant Innovations