Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Empirical data surrounding guards and firewalls.

From: evol () ruiner halo nu
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:29:10 -0500 (CDT)

Apologies, please explain the lack of differences, I'm not getting them.
Of course...

Virtual:
"The door" - Port 80 - Closed after connection attempt. You come back,
it does the same, and then closes again. 404 Error not being
dissimilar to being told to get out.
Firewall let Evol through to conduct web transaction.  Does Mr James
understand firewall?

Cops show up - As with the firewall, it does not actively stop you
from reconnecting. McDonalds staff did not prevent you from
re-entering the premesis themselves.
McDonalds did not allow buisness transaction.

Measures in Both:
In the event of reconnection attempts the firewall logs would indicate
an attack and external policing would have to deal with the problem.
I think Mr James, you miss the point.

As far as I can see it the only difference is scaling, you can make
many many millions of requests before a flood warning appears, whereas
you only need to refuse to leave a few times before the police are
called. I guess humans have less patience than computers.

Of course I could be missing something?
Yes, Firewalls and people are not equivalent.  Information technology has
no sentience Mr James.

Oh yeah, I did miss something, you can't "disconnect" someone from
being present in the building, as you can with a socket on a server.
But with reconnection scaling, is that really relevant? A little,
moreso in some circumstances, but not in this one.
Mr James, some things may easily be described as disconnected.

Why complain about anologies when your response contains anaolgies
such as this one.
Mr James, no complaints. Just empirical data.

Did you really go into McDonalds and harrass the staff today and get
taken away by the police? Please say yes, that would make my day. ROFL
:)
Yes Mr James.  It seems another lesson that learned may be is, person
should never listen to PHD's.

-Evol

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html