Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Support the Sasser-author fund started

From: James Bliss <james.bliss () comcast net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 23:07:14 -0500

Imagine you own a home and installed a security system on all the doors
and windows.  You set the alarm and leave for a weekend.

OK

A thief comes up to your house, breaks a window, and slides through the
opening.  The alarm does not go off because the thief found a
vulnerability in the security system.

Do you blame the security company that installed your intrusion
detection system?

Yes, and then I sue the security company for failure to provide what was
paid for.  I believe this would be a warranty provision which the security
company breached.

Plus, most of the software is released to the public in the form of
Betas or Release Candidates months ahead of the release date.  If
identifying security holes was that easy then why aren't there more
vulnerabilities reported before the 'gold' release of products.

The primary purpose for this realease is to allow a specific group of
developers and software companies the opportunity to prepare for the new
release.  It is not specifically released for security testing although I
am certain that this is performed to a limited extent (although it would
be more fruitful if they paid for security audits rather than assume they
are performed gratuitously)

I do expect that any computer user should have fundamental security
training before using it.  After all, the computer is a tool.  Nobody
should operate a microwave or chainsaw without reading the safety
instructions.  The same care should be taken for computers.

Therefore we should license computer users and require tests before they
are allowed to buy and/or use a computer?  Something along the lines of a
drivers license?  Also, have you seen some of the absurd warning in the
operating manuals - 'Do not touch the chain saw blade while in motion'.
Perhaps all computers sould have a warning - 'Do not use if you are an
idiot'.  But then most internet commerce would cease...

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html