Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Sasser author

From: Jeremiah Cornelius <jeremiah () nur net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 12:06:34 -0700

On Thursday 13 May 2004 07:59, Serge van Ginderachter (svgn) wrote:
I agree...to a point.

Sasser violates poorly designed/implemented network
infrastructures.

Correct, but that does not make it less a crime.

If I forget to lock my car, it does not make it right to steal it. I'm
stupid, yes, and my insurance won't pay me back, but it still is a crime.

Yes, but is it a crime that should be equated with holding hostages or
hijacking airliners?

There is a bogus category of "electronic terrorism", which is being subject to
the same aggressive prosecutorial standard that is established for those who
perpetrate real crimes of terror.  18 year-old kids, without /intention/ of
political or ideological violence against innocents, are being held with the
legal gravity of weapons smugglers.  Intention is a key definition of guilt
in - at least - British, and US-ian law.

Here you have a social naive, without any experience in life that connects the
gravity of consequences to his actions.  Chances are, his life will be pretty
much ruined.  That is an equitable outcome, because some Systems
Administrators were given a couple of rough days at work?

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html