Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Wireless ISPs

From: Michael Gargiullo <mgargiullo () warpdrive net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:50:02 -0400

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 17:01, amilabs wrote:
I have been researchign the wisp industry and I am planning to start one
also. I assure you that most use some form of authentiction and enctyption.
I would be very bad business to leave it open not only for hacking and dos,
but also for users gaining free access. Most WISP gear supports wep and aaa
type systems.

We used to offer Wireless Local Loops (1.5Mbps up and Down).  The
equipment was from breezenet. Radios were about $900 a piece, but they
freq hopped, and were damn near to sniff effectively. They do however
run on the same 802.11b channels.  While sniffing our signal, I was
across from a local hospital.  I was assigned an IP on the 10.100
network (Not ours)...  Curiosity got me...  I was in the Emergency Rooms
WAP. I went to their IT Dept, and showed a very red faced IT manager.
Someone got fired over that little mess.  Their system was webbased
patient tracking...http not https(duh). I moved down the road to
"warehouse size home improvment store" (to make sure I wasn't receiving
the hospital garbage)...  got more junk...  something that looked a lot
like cash register data...over unsecured wireless.

If it's wireless...  it's more then likely wide open.  Do I run wireless
at home...yup...  Am I too lazy to run WEP...yup.  So I run my wireless
gear in the DMZ... and chalked my sidewalk.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html