Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Learn from history?

From: "Serge van Ginderachter (svgn)" <svgn () orbid be>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 15:30:05 +0200

If wormX propogates using port Y, block any traffic with
source/destination port Y.

Exactly. Note that those ports probably should have been blocked already.
Hen they are open, they should be open for servers/services that REALLY
needed them only and only if it's safe to do it.

Now that might probably have been the case on the border, but not on the
local LAN... (which was my initial intended remark)

It doesn't solve the problem, it slows the spreading. If you
get infected, we don't need to you spread it further.  Block the shit
from going outbound.

Totally agree, but IRL...
do you have any idea how much small businesses have just a NAT router
instead of a real firewall?

Serge

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html