Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Imaging Operating Systems

From: Maarten <fulldisc () ultratux org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:27:09 +0200

Mmmm... answered my own question with a bit of googling, sorry...
But it may be helpful or useful in this thread too, so here goes:

On the receiving host, when first making the image, start this:

netcat -l -p 54321 > diskimage

[ It will start waiting for networkinput. ]

On the machine to be imaged, boot linux from a CD and run

dd if=/dev/hdXY | netcat <receiving_host> 54321
(where hdXY is your partition to be imaged)

The only problem is that you get no progressbar nor a signal that it's
finished. So you can monitor the filesize at the receiving end or something.
When apparently finished, press [control-C] on the sender.

Restores are similar (disclaimer: I've NOT YET tried this!). First start the
listening end (the linux on CD) with
netcat -l 54321 | dd of=/dev/hdXY

Then start sending the image:

cat diskimage | netcat <receiving_host> 54321

Surely not comparable to Ghost, but with no extra effort or cost...

Maarten