Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Imaging Operating Systems

From: Sam Sharpe <sam () fireburst co uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:57:33 +0100

On 26 May 2004, at 19:55, Michael Schaefer wrote:

I keep hearing suggestions about having a "clean image" to transfer onto the computer.
Is there an official Microsoft way to do this?

two methods:

1) Unattended Install (link is for a CD based version, we do it from a network install server)
http://www.pureperformance.com/js/showtip.asp?id=136

2) Install the machine, ghost it with Symantec Ghost, install spyware trojans etc and then when you've finished, write over it with a clean Ghost image again.
http://www.symantec.com/ghost/

Is some sort of over the network OS installation script in order here?

We have a complete unattended installation setup for Windows 2000/XP that will install every piece of standard software, based on some info in our central db about the machine. Walk up to the machine, PXE boot it, hit yes a couple of times and then walk away for an hour. Come back and you have a complete system. We have something like 17000 machines. You probably don't.

Are there other vendors that do a better job?

For a single machine, Ghost is easier (or for multiple identical machines you can use ghost multicast) for a wide variety of hardware and installs, the network installation method is better.

--
Sam
sam () fireburst co uk

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.