Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Imaging Operating Systems

From: Maarten <fulldisc () ultratux org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:59:27 +0200

On Thursday 27 May 2004 18:30, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Maarten wrote:
This is an interesting thread...  But out of curiosity, is it also
possible to do backup / restores using readily available linux tools?
I'd like to be able to do something like running dd over a network
connection, or tar, or whatever other tool.  In that case, a bootable CD
is all you need. But I'm unsure how to do that...

Maarten

one suggestion
make the PC dual boot: Windows and Linux
with the Linux partition larger.

Yes, I know.  I did that at the time when I still needed dual-boot.

No, what I want is more generic (and it is slightly offtopic since it is not
specifically meant to tryout malware).
Suppose I visit a friend who has a botched system, and I carry with me my
linux laptop and a knoppix CD.  Now if there would be a way to backup his
entire HDD with just the tools on the CD (and the laptop as receiving host)
that would be fantastic.

I was thinking of something like using {tar | dd | cpio} and netcat but I'm
unsure if it can be done, much less how to proceed.

boot Linux and dd the raw Windows partition to a Linux file
boot Windows and play with malware
boot Linux and dd the file back out to the Windows partition
rince and repeat...

This works just fine for one or two drawbacks: You need to plan this in
advance, and malicious code that randomly overwrites disks will kill linux +
imagefile then, too.

Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html