Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Microsoft Security, baby steps ?

From: "Random Letters" <randomisedletters () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:40:15 +0000

No need to be patronising or dismissive.

Our problems (assuming we're professional sysadmins rather than home dabblers) are several.

1. Home users - don't have adequate protection and get turned into zombies. They then bombard us. OK - this is dealt with by an externally facing firewall but see #2 below.

2. Office workers with laptops or VPN connections to the internal LAN - get 'infected' (see #1 above) and then connect to the internal LAN. They then bombard any newly set-up PC before we get a chance to patch it. BTW you still have to connect to a network if you have a SUS or SMS server.

The "need to patch before I put it on the network" / "need to put it on the network to get the patches" IS a real problem for many sysadmins.

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands
  Does HoTMaiL come with a spell checker?

In an corporate environment, you will have SUS or SMS running.
If so, no need for internet access.

If you don't have this, just place a firewall on the box, or before the
box.
How hard can this be ? You do it the same way, as you would do before
you
would patch debian/*bsd/gentoo/ect/ect/ect.

There is no real problem here. Don't blame microsoft if you can't come
up with solutions to simple security "problems".

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html