Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Who's to blame for malicious code?

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:30:13 -0600 (CST)

        [SNIP]

Would you blame OpenBSD if a user got hacked because he hadn't bothered to
patch?

I'm not arguing that Microsoft has done the right thing or even that their
OS is secure.  (It isn't, and I refuse to use it as a server unless forced
to.  I prefer to use FreeBSD whenever possible.)  I'm arguing that you
can't blame Microsoft for malicious code that takes advantage of weaknesses
for which they have already issued patches, sometimes 12 months in advance
of an outbreak.  *That* is a problem directly attributable to users.

What you're trying to argue is that, if OS vendors would simply do the
right thing from the start, users would be protected despite their lack of
patching, and I am saying that is preposterous.  *No* OS is so secure that
you can simply leave it on the Internet, never patch it, and still be
secure.

Wasn't it  you that  made the argument during the msblaster episode that
patching was a dead horse, that most env's of  significatnly sized
userbase were understaffed for the NUMEROUS patches that faced windows
admins at the time and  cuurrently?  <perhaps I'm thinking it was you and
in fact it was someone else>  Either the arguement was false then and
windows admins were and remain just plain lazy, or the argument was/is
true and there's a problem within the core  OS offered up from redmond...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html