Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Who's to blame for malicious code?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:53:35 -0600

--On Tuesday, January 20, 2004 9:31 PM +0100 Tobias Weisserth <tobias () weisserth de> wrote:

The two examples I gave in my initial answer to you actually contain
that. I wonder why you didn't comment on them. What's your opinion on an
enabled RPC port by default in consumer OSs?

Precisely the same as my opinion of shipping the OS with inetd running and chargen, finger, et. al. enabled. It's stupid. But we know that *now*, don't we? We obviously didn't know that a few years ago, or all the *nix vendors wouldn't have done that years ago, right?

Don't you think the simple
measure of shipping Windows XP Home without such a service enabled would
have stopped the spread of Blaster cold? I do.

Of course it would have, but so would have appropriate OS maintenance. The only machines we had that got infected by Blaster and friends are those that ignored my many warnings *and* refused to participate in our push-patching program (either through ignorance or belligerence.) So, while Microsoft may be criticized for shipping RPC on by default, you really can't blame them for the results of the Blaster worm, simply because it was possible to be unaffected by it by updating properly. We have thousands of Windows machines running RPC, and none of them are infected because they've all been patched.

It's high time for us to stop making excuses for stupid behavior simply because Microsoft is an easy target. *None* of the famous exploits and worms (Code Red, Nimda, Slammer, Blaster, Nachi, et. al.) would have ever happened had people simply updated their machines in a timely and regular manner.

We expect people to change the oil in their cars regularly. Why don't we expect similar behavior in the computer world?

Would you blame OpenBSD if a user got hacked because he hadn't bothered to patch?

I'm not arguing that Microsoft has done the right thing or even that their OS is secure. (It isn't, and I refuse to use it as a server unless forced to. I prefer to use FreeBSD whenever possible.) I'm arguing that you can't blame Microsoft for malicious code that takes advantage of weaknesses for which they have already issued patches, sometimes 12 months in advance of an outbreak. *That* is a problem directly attributable to users.

What you're trying to argue is that, if OS vendors would simply do the right thing from the start, users would be protected despite their lack of patching, and I am saying that is preposterous. *No* OS is so secure that you can simply leave it on the Internet, never patch it, and still be secure.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member