Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs () roaringpenguin com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:34:10 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 jan.muenther () nruns com wrote:

It can actually drive me mad to see how many Linux users entirely trust in
their assumption that they're more secure by default simply because they
don't run a Windows system.

A Linux user running a default installation of a modern Linux distribution
*IS* more secure by default than someone running a default installation
of Windows XP.

Modern Linux distros don't run many (or even any) services by default,
and they usually implement packet-filtering firewall rules.  WinXP does not.

However, there are *plenty* incredibly vulnerable Linux boxes exposed to the
Internet and I know for a fact that quite a few people simply download and
install binary packages from any given source without a second thought.

With Windows, you have no choice but to do that, because there's very
little open-source software available for Windows.

Even more ironically, a lot of people just compile and install
anything with the usual ./configure / make /make install stupor.

This is a problem, I agree.

ELF infectors do exist, and just because it's not quite so common, doesn't
mean it doesn't happen.

But unless you run as root, it's not possible to infect system binaries
(without also exploiting a local root hole.)  The barrier to entry is
simply higher in *NIX than Windows.

Also - wild theory - I'd say that people are less
likely to notice a malware infected Linux box than a Win32 one, simply
because of blind trust.

I strongly disagree.  People expect Windows boxes to be slow, cantankerous
and crash-prone.  When a Linux box starts acting wonky, people notice
immediately.  One of my servers started going nuts the other day,
and I noticed very quickly.  (It was a bad hard drive, not an attack,
but still...)

I also disagree on the note that a single system exposed to the Internet
doesn't form any type of threat at all. You can always beautifully serve as
a hop or become a friendly member of a botnet or whatever.

I didn't say that.  I said that if our colocation server got compromised,
it wouldn't compromise our work machines (which are on another network.)

I'm not saying Linux sucks security-wise,

OK.

I'm not saying Win32 sucks security-wise.

But it does.

It's what you do with it, how you handle it, and how much you assume.

Look, I'm sorry, there are fundamental flaws with Windows that make
it practically un-securable.  Linux has its bugs, but they are *bugs*, not
*design flaws*.  So-called "security experts" who don't admit that are
doing a disservice to everyone.

Regards,

David.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.