Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: lame bitching about xpsp2

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:10:58 -0400

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:50:10 +0200, devis said:

Do the interface of OpenOffice and MS Office looks THAT different to you

To a programmer who's abstracted stuff to fairly high levels, they look pretty
much the same. However...

? Hell no. These secretaries are formed to work on an interface, and
changing a few things in that same interface will not as you think,

Ahem.  Actually, it WILL bring things to a crawl.

If you're steering your usage via "muscle memory" (OK.. third menu from left,
4 items down, then right click - no conscious idea what you're doing), it
hurts a *LOT*.

You don't believe me - program your system to swap mouse buttons 1-3 randomly
each time you logon, or switch the order of the menus around, or change the
keyboard mapping from qwerty to something almost-but-not-quite Dvorak (or back
to something not-quite-querty) once in a while, and see how long it takes you
to get annoyed.  That's what upgrades feel like to a user.

bring the business word to a crawl. To the reverse, it will make them
more proefficient at computer usage, as any human does become better
when having to deal with different interfaces / systems.  It will make
them curious about the new software, capabilities and changes. It voids
the 'One way of thinking' that vendors try to impose.

Has it ever occurred to you that said secretary isn't *paid* to be curious, and
has *no interest* in being curious? (Hint - why are they secretaries and not
looking to move into the programming staff?) That "new" software that does
things differently gets them mad, because they knew *perfectly well* how to get
task XYZ done with the *old* system, and the time it takes them to find out how
to do XYZ under the *new* system is time that (in their opinion) probably got
wasted because if they hadn't been migrated, they'd not have had to re-learn
it.

(Not to knock the secretaries - although none of the ones I work with are
blessed with loads of curiosity, they've bailed me out of a number of messes
caused by my doing paperwork "the way it should be" rather than "the way it
is".  If the senior secretary says "I don't understand why, and I don't *want*
to understand what political issue in another department makes it this way, but
you have to do it this way", you *do* it that way.. ;)