Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: lame bitching about xpsp2

From: "Jonathan Rickman" <jonathan () jpattonsports com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:38:03 -0400

The problem with M$'s patches/updates/fixes/sp's is that they assume they know better >than you what the settings
should be, and without asking they override any current >settings.

No it doesn't. It mirrored the ICF firewall settings I already had in place on every machine I put it on...even the
custom rules that allowed local clients to attach to my X server running in cygwin, bittorrent traffic, and the ssh
rules on 3 vmware network adapters. That's pretty much the definition of retaining current settings.

For example, if they are going to enable the firewall, and block all incoming ports, give >the knowledgable users the
option of either disabling the firewall, or allowing selected >ports access.

You can modify the settings through 2 different interfaces. Either go to the control panel and set things up the way
you want, or read up on doing it from the command line if that makes you feel special.

Sheesh, talk about "damned if you do...damned if you don't"!!!

--
Jonathan

_______________________________________________ Full-Disclosure - We believe in it. Charter:
http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html