Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MSN Webcam / Chat Spoof

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:33:58 -0400

On Mon, 12 May 2003 10:09:32 EDT, "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>  said:

My question:  Why can't an Authenticode certificate present the
following information to a user:

   - Company name
   - Street address
   - Phone number
   - Web site URL
   - Contact Email address
   - Company logo
   - Link to a product description page

OK.. .So you get a cert - now other than "phone number", is there anything
there that *really* increases your confidence level (given that you have
2 http:// and a mailto: URL, and they could all point at a hijacked server)?

Remember that there has already been one well-publicized case of Verisign
issuing a bogus Microsoft cert - there's no proof they haven't made the
same social-engineering whoops on possibly *dozens* of lesser-known software
houses.

And after the dot-bombed era, there's probably a *lot* of places that had
certs and went belly up - and said certs went out the door when the servers
they were on got surplused.  I'm sure snooping around the right hacker
IRC channels will find you a pointer to a black-market cert that you can have
a copy of....