Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: USDOJ BRAINWASHING TECHNIQUES

From: noconflic <nocon () texas-shooters com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:35:20 -0500

[avalon () caligula anu edu au] Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 12:05:07PM +1000 wrote:
In some mail from KF, sie said:

The fact is it we need to take measures that help children
understand hacking. This is hardly an issue of brain-
washing. It is an issue of survival as a society. The more
we help children understand about malicious hacking, the
less likely they will perform these acts later in life.
That only benefits society on a universal scale.

Imagine if they would have done something like that with future <insert
company name here> coders... Impress into their brains to not code
security holes in to <web server xyz> in the first place.

 > Imagine if someone could have swayed the group of "hackers"
 > that destroyed a laboratory's long-term cancer research by
 > teaching them the necessity of universal survival as children.

How about if they swayed the admin (as a child) to just patch his box up...

Don't get me wrong...I will agree that educating children to not hack
*could* cut down on attacks however it does nothing to stop the
vulnerabilities that exist in soooooo many products. Time would be
better spent educating the kids about how vulnerabilities are caused and
what they could do to help prevent the issues to begin with. Teach these
kids to not use strcpy into a fixed buffer or something.

The nature of this discussion is disturbing and you've mixed up a
number of completely different problems into the one paragraph, as
if they were somehow an excuse to not promote hacking as bad.
Furthermore you have trivialised a number of points that are serious
issues for the IT industry, as a whole.

   What i find interesting is what would the nature of this dissusion would be
like if we were all taught at the age of 10 "Information Security and Ethics"
on a large scale in the classrooms. I am sure quite a number of (do i dare say)
older people in the IT and security industry have indeed "Looked around" in
systems that they were not supposed too then realised later in life what they
did was wrong only to then take those skills and turn them around for "The
common good of benefitng society" or even better "Fat paychecks".

- nocon

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html