Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: USDOJ BRAINWASHING TECHNIQUES

From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter () bank-connect com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:31:33 +0200

Not the fact that somehow that web page is trying to promote any particular opinion on "hacking into" is disturbing to me. What did raise my eyebrows was the fact that it bluntly promoted "why don't you spy on your friends for us and turn in every suspect"; the governmental fear and obedience factors.

Such is their opinion; allas. But I firmly beleive that morality is born from day to day personal judgement of all factors; not from strict obedience to church and government rules. Such rules simply provide the stable framework that allow complex societies to function, and would of course cease to be effective when they were not enforced.

From my personal moral perspective it would make a lot more sense to "tell an adult you trust, who would tell the owner of the system that they are being hacked by little kids, who would plug the system, and everybody would leave Quentin alone". Someone might even warn the fella that he's getting a bit obvious and that it might well get him into trouble. After all, and specially so for vital systems, if Quentin can make his way in, then any party of significance would already have intalled itself quite comfortably.

As far as Quentin himself is concerned, and using it as a metafor for hackers, one could consider the difference between breaking the law and commiting a crime. These are not the same. It is the moral application of the law that can turn one into the other. I would not consider research and publication of weaknesses in the type of lock I have on my front door as illegal. On the other hand, I would probably know everybody over the head whom I found inside my house having exploited that weakness and i would probably appriciate early warning about my vulnerable lock.

It would be quite silly to legalize "hacking into" as well as it would be silly to convict anyone who walked into an open door. Somewhere in-between is the gray area where where penalties become a desired measure. An intelligent discussion of that area still seems to be benificial as both the makers as well as the appliers of law seem to be quite confused. Like to illegalize screwdrivers because sometimes they are used to break into houses or stab persons. And to prevent anybody from publishing the fact that a specific kind of lock is worthless because the manufacturer prefers not to change it. Or to convict anybody from making a call from a phone booth because it could make him an anonymous caller. Allas...

Peter

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html