IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection Evaluation Datasets

From: Seth Hall <hall.692 () osu edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:00:10 -0400

Sorry to hijack this thread and throw it off in a slightly different direction, but I had some comments to slide in...

On Mar 13, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Zow Terry Brugger wrote:

Someone mentioned Bro specifically. I don't think Bro provides
anything new and interesting in the signature detection realm.

I would argue that it does to some degree at least. We started running a signature recently that I wrote to detect the presence of SSN-like data in our network traffic. Where Bro's signature capabilities shine in this circumstance is that calls can be made with the content of the match out to Bro policy script code. My policy script then validates the potential matches in a list of known OSU- related SSNs which removes huge numbers of false positives without having to resort to post processing.

It reflects what I consider as the general "win" of Bro which is the domain specific language that it uses. I can't be very expressive with signatures, but with a full programming language I can be very specific with the behavior that I want to see on the network.

The real interesting things I've
seen come out of Bro only used Bro for basic data collection, which an
analyst was then able to find interesting patterns from. This goes
strongly to Staniford's point about Paxson diving into the live data.

There is a slow progression in the Bro community toward collecting data over a period of time to indicate some activity in progress that isn't obvious from a single packet or session. We've been using a policy for over a year now that fairly quickly detects when we have someone abusing a compromised webmail account. We look into SMTP message contents to see if the mail was sent from a webmail interface based on the "X-Agent" or "User-Agent" mail headers. If it is, we keep track of how many recipients the sender has sent email to with the webmail interface and it points out people that are sending too much webmail in too short of a period of time.

Ultimately, its creating a summary of activity based on a number of sessions over a relatively long period of time.

Is there anything else available that would allow me to be as expressive as that? (this isn't a snarky question, I'm honestly curious)

  .Seth

---
Seth Hall
Network Security - Office of the CIO