IDS mailing list archives

RE: Exploit-based signature is dead, or not?

From: "Addepalli Srini-B22160" <saddepalli () freescale com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:27:49 -0700

Hi,

Exploit code can be used to figure out the kind of vulnerability that application/system has. Hence the signatures
developed once the vulnerability is understood can be said that they are vulnerability based signatures as per your
terminology. But there are exceptions though.

If the vulnerability can be mapped to standard protocol and the exploitation happening due to protocol information,
then there is a very big possibility that the signature developed stops different variations of exploit taking
advantage of the vulnerability.

But if the protocol is proprietary and not publicly known, then it can become difficult to create signature with good
confidence.  There can be false positives and false negatives.  This may be called exploit based signature.  But these
signatures at the minimum protect internal resources from script kiddies.

Other cases where there could be problem in developing good signatures are:

- Sensor not having protocol intelligence:  Signatures would be based on raw content and can result into false
positives and negatives.

- Data based vulnerabilities such as vulnerabilities in ActiveX and Java scripts:  Many signature developed in this
area would be mostly based on exploits, especially if the IDS/IPS doesn't have intelligence of interpreting Java script
and HTML pages.

Since many IDP devices in the market today don't do good analysis on data portion (Email attachment, HTML pages, HTML
download files, FTP transferred files etc..) probability of a signature being 'exploit based' is more in case of client
protection.

Regards
Srini