IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection Evaluation Datasets

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists () tx rr com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:08:54 +0000

--On Wednesday, March 18, 2009 15:39:23 -0400 Seth Hall <hall.692 () osu edu> wrote:

alert tcp any any -> $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS (msg: "Web attack -
overflow attempt"; flow: to_server, established; content:"POST /";
http-method; content:"Content-Length3A"; nocase;  depth:1;
content:"This is where you would have to capture the value of
Content-Length"; urilen:"value of Content-Length"; pcre:"/\w/";
classtype:web-application-attack; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

It would actually be easy to identify with Bro.  The problem with your
signature below is that it doesn't take into account the same byte value
being repeated for the total Content-Length.

Yes, that's true.

 It's a little more hacky to
make Bro identify the repeating character, but still possible.  You're also
ignoring the bounds Damiano placed on the value of the Content-Length header.

That's because snort doesn't have a way to define the bounds for that value, AFAIK.

If I have some time tonight, I'll write a script to detect this situation and
post it to the list.

I'll be interested to see that.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst
Check the headers before clicking on Reply.