IDS mailing list archives

Re: Session Hijacking

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 20:22:46 -0800

On March 2, 2005 11:07 pm, Mike Frantzen wrote:
Question, I am learning about session hijacking, and I was wondering
if an IPS has the capabilities to detect and prevent this type of
attack? If so how exactly would the IPS prevent a session hijacking?

It's pretty much impossible to prevent full-knowledge session hijacking
when the hijacker is on a local network with who he is hijacking.  You
pretty much have to be their switch.

It's an administrative hassle... but locking down mac addresses to switch
physical ports _is_ a good idea... and raises the bar on hijacking.

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
Vancouver, Canada       May 4-6 2005  http://cansecwest.com

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.