IDS mailing list archives

Re: Session Hijacking

From: Kevin <kkadow () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 01:24:39 -0600

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:15:27 -0500, Terry Ray wrote:
Question, I am learning about session hijacking, and I was wondering
if an IPS has the capabilities to detect and prevent this type of
attack? If so how exactly would the IPS prevent a session hijacking?

An IDS located on the same segment as the attacker should detect
MITM attacks (e.g. ettercap).  And of course there are IPS products
which *perform* session hijacking (one way to put the 'P' in IPS).

It is common for firewalls to optionally rewrite TCP's Initial Sequence
Number, giving protection against blind spoofing.  In theory, an inline IPS
is in the same position to perform  ISN randomization as a firewall,
but I don't know if any current products offer this as a feature?

While not truly a "hijack" attack,  an inline IPS should be able to both
detect and prevent  "blind" TCP ReSeT attacks, by just dropping *all*
RST packets for a given session once it's seen an unusually high
number of resets -- even if the IPS is not good about tracking sequence
numbers, this approach should work to mitigate the DoS.

Kevin Kadow

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.