IDS mailing list archives

Re: Building an IDS security policy

From: Stephane <stephane.d () ecologie net>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:57:49 +0100

Knorr Markus wrote:

Hi list,
I´m an recent alumnus of computer science (who will be given his Diploma in two weeks) and this is the first Job i did.
In cause of writing my diploma thesis about the advantages of korrelation the data from Vulnerability Scanners und NIDS
i´m now the person who has to implement the IDS/IPS in all questions about this topic...
To solve the technical implementation is no problem, but what about the policy? However, i have not much experience in such organisational topics at all.

Are there any papers or books on how to write a specifical IDS-Policy?

The paper/book should deal with questions like:
How should the the IDS/IPS be monitored (24-Hours? in the business hours from an analyst and the other time on call?)?
What is to do when an High-Risk-Event occurs?
What should an IDS/IPS-Policy descripe/include?
How can i accomplish the IDS/IPS-Thoughts in the whole Company and further to cooperate with the relevant Units
(Webhosting, etc.)?

Questions over questions...

Thx in advance for your help.

Markus

P.s.: Plz do not make any business offers ;-)

Here, you'll find the references you need

X-Force Education Services
http://www.iss.net/education/

ISS Bookstore
http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/bookstore/