IDS mailing list archives

Re: Specification-based Anomaly Detection

From: Stefano Zanero <zanero () elet polimi it>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:05:42 +0100

Kohlenberg, Toby wrote:

Right, I got that. But so long as you aren't encrypting the traffic, I
can dissect it. I won't always get the fragmentation right but I can
probably figure out the application if I look.

You will. That's my point, actually, you can do anomaly detection without knowing in advance which traffic matches to which app ;)

That's something that the algorithm we have developed can recognize ;)

Yes, but not by looking at IP/port pairs. You'll need more detail than
that.

You don't need that (it would be too easy ;). You just need the packet payloads, most of times.

--
Cordiali saluti,
Stefano Zanero

Politecnico di Milano - Dip. Elettronica e Informazione
Via Ponzio, 34/5 I-20133 Milano - ITALY
Tel.    +39 02 2399-3660
Fax.    +39 02 2399-3411
E-mail: zanero () elet polimi it