IDS mailing list archives

RE: Specification-based Anomaly Detection

From: "Drew Simonis" <simonis () myself com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:16:31 -0500

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick of seeing ideas that
have been around for 20 years touted as "ground breaking!" or
"revolutionary!".

While I tend to agree, the old adage "everything old is new again"
isn't an adage because its false.  To use another adage, this one
less polite, ideas are like... well, you know; everyone has one.

The point is, the fact that an idea has been around for some time
doesn't make the implementation of that idea an less important.
Many ideas are really clever, but no one figures out how to make
them reality.  Wasn't the idea of PKC published some 6 years before
RSA had a product?  Does that make RSA's product any less
revolutionary?  I'd argue no.

Researchers like Denning and Anderson come up with fanastic ideas,
but it takes a lot of legwork on the part of the product companies
to realize those ideas, and that is certainly effort worth
celebrating.

-Ds

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.