IDS mailing list archives

Re: Replacing antivirus soft with a real IDS/IPS

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:12:01 +0100

Hi,

Actually, getting rid of an anti-virus solution at the desktop is a pretty good idea. If you consider the standard avenue of attacks now are through software vulnerabilities and social engineering, the standard fair of virus as it used to be from floppy to hard drive and back transmission is passé for the most part (but it's still worth keeping an AV disinfection boot CD around). Good security protection through a thorough reduction of all unneeded services, unneeded active scripting languages in the OS and applications, and bad user practices makes the disinfection process something you can launch from a central network location. Therefore, not each individual desktop needs one just for infection clean-up.

Most HIPS solutions that work with signatures are going to be just as flawed. An ideal solution would be one that provides both ingress and egress filtering and change control with strong logging/reporting. Even better if it can also restore to a previous, hopefully untainted state.

Considering the costs of AV for an enterprise, getting rid of it can be quite a substantial savings which can be funding for better overall security support. Although I don't recommend doing it until the internal architecture has been redesigned with appropriate operational security and loss controls.

Sincerely,
-pete.

http://www.osstmm.org

Jason Thompson wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea to knock out AV. A blended tool of AV
and HIPS / firewall would be great. Even most HIPS vendors will say
that they don't recommend getting rid of your current AV solution.