IDS mailing list archives

Re: Denial of Service: Commercial Defense products

From: "avi chesla" <chess4_4 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:28:43 +0200

Hi Matt,

It should be noted that I am an employee of Radware. The following answer is informative only.

The problem you have encountered has been handled in the latest versions of the DefensePro. A new mechanism (adaptive behavioral DoS protection) which aims to handle all types of floods has been implemented. This new mechanism uses a mature technology that was taken from V-Secure Technologies (this is involved with the acquisition that Radware made). The new mechanism mitigates TCP (Syn and also other TCP floods), UDP, ICMP and IGMP floods by using a statistical adaptive approach (i.e., no thresholds need to be set). The mitigation methods that this mechanism allows are highly granular which means that the detected attack is blocked according to multiple characteristic parameters taken from the packet headers and payload. These parameters (e.g., checksums, packet sizes, TTL, ports, DNS queries etc) are detected on the fly and are automatically tailored through an AND and OR logical relationships in order to generate the most narrow prevention measure against the detected attack (all in order to minimize the blocking of legitimate users). The integrated technology allows this whole process (detection and prevention) to take place without user intervention. If you test mitigation tools, you should especially focus on the granularity and accuracy of the prevention rules that these tools provide. Regarding Toplayer and Riverhead, the aforementioned new protection is actually a breakthrough for Radware mitigation capabilities. I advise you to test Radware's new DoS and DDoS solution compared to the other vendors – I think that the differences can be easily exposed.

Let me know if need any more assistance.

Avi